Dick Dale knows what he’s talking about. For those of you who aren’t familiar with the name, you’re most certainly familiar with his music. He’s the king of surf guitar and basically created the style with ‘Misirlou’, the track from Pulp Fiction. He has been struggling with the music industry ever since he started recording albums. His message is simple and straight to the point: be smart and don’t count on anyone but yourself to get your music heard.
Here are the main pointers of this video that indie bands should take into consideration:
- Learn how to market yourselves and become business men,
- Stop trying to be the big man,
- Contact licensing agencies and medial outlets to distribute your music.
Concerning licensing agencies, we’ll have a post out next wednesday on online licensing companies so stay tuned.
In our series on major record labels I would also suggest checking out these posts:
- Why the music industry won’t take risks with bands anymore by Frank Zappa
- Why bands should not sign with a major record label By Steve Albini